The english library - Books

• Hello!!!

A topic about all things you can find in the library :D BOOKS!

Did you read books in english? Which ones? Did you like it?

Did you read english books in school?

I read Harry Potter and the deathly hollows in english. It was my first english Harry Potter book. At the beginning it was hard, but it became easier =)

In school we read Shakespeares A Midsummer Night's Dream and Rhues Boot Camp.

• My first English book was Twilight (by Stephenie Meyer) at that time I was in 8th grade and 13 years old. Reading English was easier than I had expected, and from that time on I tried to read as many English books as possible. I've read the whole Twilight Series in English, all Harry Potter books, some books of Cecilia Ahern and Nicholas Sparks.

I've also read some Classics, by Shakespeare, Bronte, and Austen, these were harder to read than those 'modern' books I've mentioned above. That's probably because of the old English, the choice of words, constellation and other stuff like that. :)

• we read a lot of english books at school ... could be because i was in the "Englisch-LK" *haha*
    we read "brave new world" and some other drama i don't remember any more *g*

personally i've read the eragon-series, harry potter, twilight, 2 austen books, and many many more (would be too long to mention all of them)
    and a lot of literature during my studies at university (not only novels but also drama, short stories, poems, etc.)

i really like reading books in english...i think they're much better written then the corresponding german translations...what do you think about that?

• I love to read books in the language they were written. it is more original, I think.
    and as I love the language and always try to improve my skills I just have to read more books in english than german
    someone who translates, can never have all aspects the author had in mind while writing. some are pretty good in understanding and their translation make sense. but others don'T get the point at all and the books are totally different.
    soooo... wether french, spanish or english - last one is preferred naturally - I prefer original books.
    this faible started with Harry Potter 6 as I never read a translated HP since I was in the 7th grade (ok at the moment I have to for my facharbeit to evaluate the translation work). since then I read more in English, and by now I actually read more in english than in german.

I read in school dramas of oscar wilde, arthur miller & shakespeare.
    I'vre read the Gatsby, catcher in the rye and books like that
    besides I love reading English books just for fun, last one was the blind side of Lewis and yesterday I started Nicholas Spark's Last song (as s.b. who hates those lovestories I love it wa too much & am almost through with it <3333)
    because of a special interest in literature I also read jane austen and bronte but it was a kind of phase I think. I prefer modern books at the moment^^

There is a tide in the affairs of men.
    Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
    And we must take the current when it serves
    Or lose our ventures.

• I've read more English than German books in the last three years.

Partly because those books I'm most interested in are only available in English ( my special interest is the English Nobility and the Queens of England) and on the other side I also believe that native writers use their own language best and every translation won't reach the original.

I own a lot of English books due to the possibility of purchasing them at an English Book Sale hold once a year in a local parish. As most English books are much cheaper at amazon.co.uk than at amazon.de I often order in England.

• I´m used to reading fiction only in English - except the Mankell books, because he is Swedish.

I´ve been doing so for almost 20 years. Mostly crimestories. (Tess Gerritson, Mo Hayder, Jonathan Kellerman, Therefore my vocabulary is sort of gruesome...like.."he cut her to death, he slashed her to pieces..." etc...)

Some years ago I did a course at "The School of English" to improve my English and to sit my CPE exam. My British teacher ("the last bastion of British English" as she called herself) was a little shocked about my vocabulary. :D

• I love reading books in english.
    I´ve got all books from Jane Austen and Marian Keyes in english :)
    And, of course, the Harry Potter books.^^

The translation is often really bad and therefore I read the books in english - like phinneas :]
    I totally agree with her statements.

Besides that, I need the vocabulary for my english class - to be better in school (my last english teacher was really bad, he didn´t teach english well and so I had to study for myself to become a good english student) - and after school, when I´m going to GB, I´m sure I´m gonna use it.

• I started again reading in english with Harry Potter and since then, I prefer english books to german translations. Especially in the case of Jasper Fforde, the translations are so horrible that you might think, you read another book :menno:

I also try to listen to as many audio books and movies in original british-english language as possible because my accent is horrible (spoiled by my german mother tongue plus a lot of foreigners from south-east european countries). And listening is much harder than reading :(

My favorites are still the nursery-crime stories by Jasper Fforde - these british people have so much fantasy :blumen: By the way: they have never been translated into german.

Newly edited in GB is John Wyndham. Maybe you know "Village of the damned" with Christopher Reeves - he wrote the book this movie is based on ("Midwich cookoos"). His books had been translated but you cannot buy them here in Germany at the moment.

Wenn du ein Schiff bauen willst, so trommele nicht Männer zusammen um Holz zu beschaffen, Werkzeuge vorzubereiten und Aufgaben zu vergeben, sondern lehre die Männer die Sehnsucht nach dem endlosen, weiten Meer.
    (Antoine de Saint-Exùpery)

• Of course I read Harry Potter 5-7 in English because I couldn't wait...
    Other books I read in English are: 1984, Brave New World, The picture of Dorian Gray, The remains of the day, Tortilla curtain, Romeo&Juliet,...
    I like to read English books in my free time, but in spite of that I read much more German than English books.

• I'm just reading an English book called "My Secret Lover" by Imogen Parker and it's hilarious. Yesterday I read nearly half of it, because it's easy reading.

Sometimes I almost forget, that the language isn't German and I know the sense of almost every word I read, but often can't translate in proper German! :hmm

• Nicholas Sparks. Even if his language is nothing special, but common, daily language mixed with modern words and expressions, his books are among the best I've ever read. The way he describes the characters is terrific and though the topic is similar, the end is known before... the books are exciting to read and surprising in their out turns. Just LOVE them!

There is a tide in the affairs of men.
    Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
    And we must take the current when it serves
    Or lose our ventures.

• When I was in middle school age we read some kind of children's novels in the English lessons. And when the english version of HP 7 released I read some parts in the book, especially for the PU Translation Project, but at that time at was too hard for me to read the hole book. As of now I like to read English books when I have enough time...for my summer vacation I decided to read the Philosopher's Stone in English and I understand almost everything.

• Well, I don't really remeber when I started reading english books, but Harry Potter was definitaly one of my first real novel I read in english. Oh god, I remember I had big troubles understanding it. I msut confess I'm not quite sure which book I read first, probably some parts of the 6th but I gave up quite early, just like I did with the 7th. I must have been something about 13. Later on I somehow got so obsessed with Harry Potter again so I started to read all books once again, in english and as more movies I watched in english the more I did understand when I read. Nowadays I'm able to understand most books, even the old ons like Shakespears. It's still tough to read but it's also fun and you learn alot.

My second favourite nove is Everlost. It is really amazing.
    In school we're reading twelve, I believe it is way too...mh...extreme for a school novel. Harsh expressions and quite perverted, I'd rather read Harry Potter ;)

Best wishes Stuffiee :))

• I read a lot - probably most of my books - in English. I'm too impatient to wait until they come out in Germany, so I usually buy them right away when they come out in England, America ... :) I read my first English book years ago when the stupid german publishers stopped a series of seven books right after the third one. So my Australian penpal got me the books from Australia (I don't remember using Amazon back then ... long long time ago^^) and ever since then, I've been reading english books :)

• At the moment I read the book "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" by Jonathan Safran Foer. The book is about a precocious nine-year-old boy who lost his father on September 11, 2001. And on one day he found a hidden key in an envelope, with a name on it, in the cupboard of his father. So he wants to check all the people with that name, living in New York City. It's quite an interesting story.

• At the moment I'm reading a book by Marian Keyes. It's "Sushi for beginners". I like this very much. I can't understand all, but I'm able to understand the content. She often uses common speech, but now it's very easy, I think, because I read much of the words. And some words like "dunno" I know because I chatted with englisch people.

• I read a lot of english books. It began private with "The curious incident of the dog in the night time" by Mark Haddon, then came "The Beach" and "The chamber" at school.
    At home I have also the first four Harry Potter books. I'm at part four. Must seen that I get the other ones soon.
    Then I have "Persuasion" and "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen ("Pride and Prejudice" is very hard to read... I'm still at the beginning and I have the book since a year :lachen: )
    Then I have "A spot of bother" by Mark Haddon (still unreaded), "The Jane Austen club" by Karen Joy Fowler. A collection-book, with the best storys from Edgar Allan Poe ( I love Poe! May he rest in peace!), and my beloved "The picture of Dorian Gray" by my "beloved" Oscar Wilde ( I'm reading it while I have break at school... It's very good! May he rest in peace!) And anywhere in this house is "The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams (May he rest in peace!) to find, but I don't know where. And I haven't read it at time.
    Ah~ yes! My sisters donate me two books at my last birthday, where all Shakespear-works are in it! I love those! They are my precioused books in my shelf! :love:

I'm planning to buy Bram Stokers "Dracula". I just have it in german, but I would like to have it in english! And then I would like to buy "The wise man's fear" by Patrick Rothfuss. It sounds interesting and it is a veee~ry thick book...:love:

Did someone read "The Lord of the Rings"??? Is it better in english than in german??? I can't read it in german. It's so boooo~ring.

• I´m in the 9th grade and at the time I´m reading "I know what you did last summer". It´s very easy to read in English and also "Breaking Dawn" (The last of the Twilight-Series) isn´t hard to understand. But now I bought some new English books: "Dracula" and "Frankenstein". Some classics, I thought. Even if the storys are very interesting I´m afraid of having problems with them ;D

For christmas I wanted the Harry-Potter-Series. A box with all books (an expensive kind of them ^^). First my Mum wasn´t really pleased to hear about this wish but finally she agreed. I´ll get the box for christmas :D I´m so happy! (By the way: Some class mates think I´m mad ´cause their wishes are cell phones and computer games,... ;D):tanne:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Du hast noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registriere dich kostenlos und nimm an unserer Community teil!